Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Finally - a clean face!

Three words I never want to hear again... BLOCKED TEAR DUCTS.

Park's tear ducts never opened after he was born. Tears are produced at the outside of your eyes, go across your eyes, and then drain near the corners of your eyes and go down a tube that runs down and connects to your nose. If your ducts are blocked then there's no where for the gunk to go and you have a baby with constantly goopy eyes.

Go ahead. See below. I've spent 9 months constantly wiping these eyes.


I think the duct in Park's left eye partially opened on it's own but his right eye is definitely still blocked. We had an initial consultation with an opthamologist last month and tomorrow is the big day to fix his poor little eyes. It's a procedure that our doctor will perform in his office. He will wrap Park up basically in a swaddle, somehow keep his head still, and then poke open the ducts with a "blunt, metal wire."

Doesn't that sound horrible?

I'm praying that I can't hear the screams from the waiting room.

No comments:

Post a Comment