While reading in bed one night last week, I heard someone get up and go into the bathroom.
A few seconds later I got up to go check on whoever it was that had gotten out of bed.
I walk down the hall and there was Wade, finishing up using the restroom all over the cabinets and Park's stool. Like it was no big deal. Absolutely normal. At least this was better than two nights before when he just opened his bedroom door and went right there on the hall carpet. Tile is much easier to clean than the carpet!
Well, by now Colby is in the bathroom too and we're cleaning and laughing and poor Wade is just standing there with this incredibly blank look on his face. He's obviously sleepwalking and has no idea what he's doing! So I snap a picture to show him in the morning and we tell him that we love him and tuck him back into his bed.
Funny? Yes.
But how many times has this story been a snap shot of what's going on in my life?
I'm busy.
I'm distracted.
I'm depressed.
I'm overwhelmed.
I'm stressed.
I'm totally functioning on auto pilot.
I'm sleepwalking through life.
I make a mess out of things just like Wade did in the bathroom. Still even when I don't feel like it or I'm not aware, God is always right beside me. Wanting me to just open my eyes and see Him. Really see Him. See that He has a better plan for me. A better way.
And even when I don't get it, I don't change, I don't wake up - He's not there to scream and yell and condemn me. He picks me up, tells me He loves me, and and I as go to bed with hopes that tomorrow will be a better day - He patiently waits, hoping that we can talk about things in the morning.
John 14:27 "I am leaving you with a gift - peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don't be worried or afraid."
hahaha hilarious story and awesome analogy! Its so true. How many times do I go through the motions of life - pretty much sleepwalking - and make a huge mess of everything. God is so patient. I needed to hear this today :-) Thanks Kristen!
ReplyDelete